On Saturday, I volunteered for Turkey Outreach through McLean. We met in SE DC in Anacostia. For those of you that don't know, Anacostia is extremely low income - poverty - high crime, and high use of drugs. I'm talkin... the projects. If you turn on the news up here, there is always someone getting shot in Anacostia. One of my coworkers even said, that it happens so frequently that it doesn't even make the news sometimes because people expect it.
We hand delivered boxes which contained a turkey, other Thanksgiving food, and the Gospel of John. We would knock on the doors, present them the turkey, then ask if they had any prayer requests and we would then pray for them. My small group broke up into groups of 2's and 3's to deliver the turkeys. This experience was so humbling and I would definitely do it again. It makes me realize just how much "stuff" I own, and how lucky I am to be living where I am living. I could tell a lot of the people really appreciated what we were doing, but some of them would sorta just stand there thinking, "Ok, I got my turkey, I want you to leave.". I just hope and pray that the people who are not believers see how we are serving the Lord - the joy that we have - and for them to know, that they can have that too.
Kaitlyn, me, June, Alex, and Colleen
Six of us participated (Annie left before the photo was taken) and it was fun to see my small group girls on a day other than Tuesday. It was definitely an all day event... I didn't get home till around 5 -- and I was beyond tired! I will definitely remember the way this day made me feel - blessed and heartbroken. It makes me unbelievably sad that children grow up in this type of environment. I have never prayed with someone while they were getting high - that was definitely a first. Every household we entered, I knew God was right there with us. I was definitely on this serving high which was awesome. I can't wait to do it next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment