Saturday, April 30, 2011

monkeys love bananas

How do you peel a banana?


I peel it from the stem, which I believe is how most people do it.  But sometimes, depending on the ripeness of the banana, it gets mushy at the top.  And no one likes to eat that part.  A few months back, I learned how monkeys eat bananas.  They hold the stem of the banana, pinch off the brown part at the end, and then the peels of the banana flower open.  The monkey's have been doing it right all along!  Check out this a short video by clicking here to see how it is done.


I was hanging out with my friend Jacki, and we were talking about how almost everyone we know has a smart phone... except for us.  Neither of us feel like we really need to be connected to our email 24/7, but we were both saying it would be nice just to have Google on our phones so we could look up random facts.  Jacki had a part time job at Smoothie King, and they had to peel each banana that they use.  As she was peeling them, she pondered... How many bananas does a monkey eat in one day?  She looked it up at home online.  A monkey can eat up to 30 bananas in one day!  That is A LOT of potassium.  I bet monkeys never get leg cramps.


I also learned from Jacki that they eat other things too.  They eat lettuce which I found odd.  They also eat bats and squirrels.   I thought they didn't live in the same area though... (indigenous?)  So I'm not really sure if that meant that if a squirrel was running through the zoo, would a monkey just WHAM, smack it down, grab it, and eat it?


And if so, would the monkey peel it by the tail?  

1 comment:

  1. At first I was like, this is a very informative blog post. I resolved to start eating bananas differently. And then you described how a monkey would kill a squirrel and I was all... well, I guess that's a logical next step. AND THEN IT HAPPENED... "would the monkey peel it by the tail?" - hahahahaha that is, quite possibly, the funniest thing I've ever read :D thanks for that lol

    ReplyDelete