Monday, September 7, 2009

this is what is sounds like when doves cry

I got a flat tire at work last Friday and ended up having to replace all 4 tires -- that was a big hit! My wallet was not too happy after this big purchase. But it's good to get it out of the way now so I don't have to worry about it in the future. I had a flat tire back in college, but of course I had a friend change it. So what did I do this time? I work with ALL guys so this was a no brainer... I got a coworker to change it!! Of course the spare didn't have air in it...just my luck. It was a stressful day, but I got it all taken care of solely on the awesomeness of my coworkers. One of my coworkers called local tire places using the line, "My girlfriend got a flat tire and I don't want her getting ripped off". So he found the cheapest price for tires, AND got me a discount. My coworkers are amazing and were definitely there for me during that stressful time. Of course, they gave me a hard time about it after I fumed, "This is why I need a boyfriend so I don't have to deal with crap like this!" Since I had a horrible Friday, I went out that night with my friend Adam and his roommates. We went to Mister Days in Clarendon - I had never been there before and had a blast! There was no cover charge and the dance floor was huge -- my kinda place!! I definitely needed to let loose after that stressful Friday.
Adam and me on the metro

Adam is one of my good friends up in NoVa. He has a girlfriend who is amazing! She's not psycho at all and I love hanging out with her! Adam knows I'm on the market... so, funny story... we're on the metro, and a group of 6 or so young, good looking guys all get on the metro. I whisper to Adam, "Don't sit to close too me, I don't want people to think we're together." So Adam, being the jokester that he is, puts his arm around me. One of the young guys accidentally hits my shoe (because my legs were crossed), and he said, "Oh sorry about that." And before I could smile and respond, Adam said, "Oh don't worry about it man" with his arm still around me. I was pissed!!! These guys were actually cute!! Of course Adam was laughing hysterically...

Have I mentioned how amazing my coworkers are? I do have one friend who works with Dominion in Richmond (corporate, of course): Stephen Lackey. For those of you who don't know him, you should. It's weird, I actually did not know him when he went to JMU but basically became good friends via the inter company messaging system. I always try to grab dinner with him when I am in Chester for training. Anywho, I have been sharing my struggles with Stephen about the friends I have been finding in NoVa (or lack thereof). Out of the blue, I get an email from Stephen addressed to me and this girl Erin. He suggests that we both meet, and felt that we could get a lot out of each other. She too attends McLean Bible Church. I met with her one Sunday before Frontline... and Stephen is true to his word: she is awesome! I was really nervous meeting her, but once we started talking, everything just fell into place. Our conversation just flowed. She informed me that she typically goes to church on Monday evenings and not Sundays, but she told me she would connect me with another girl, Heather. Erin emailed me and Heather suggesting that we meet up. Heather and I planned to meet one hour before church. I forgot to Facebook her, so I had no idea what she looked like. I was waiting by the Coffee Bar at McLean, and every girl that walked by, I tried to make eyes at them, to see if they were Heather. It got a little awkward at times, and I'm sure people thought I was quite the creep -- this must be what a blind date feels like. Note to self: Don't go on a blind date. One of my small group girls ran into me, so I wasn't alone. So I knew Heather wouldn't recognize me with someone. But low and behold, Heather has a twin, and her twin sister Sacha was with her as well. After a few text messages, we finally figured out who each other were. I was really nervous and anxious about meeting Heather (since I had no idea what she looked like), but when I started talking with Heather and Sacha, it just felt so natural. They made me feel very comfortable. We had a lot of good laughs, and after church I couldn't wait to hang out with them again! I noticed I had text messages from them asking to hang out again! (Man, if blind dates could end like this!! Haha).

I'm truly touched that Stephen took the time to connect me with Erin. I am also touched that Erin (even though I only talked with her for an hour, and don't know her too well), took the time to connect me with Heather and Sacha. They all had the mentality "a friend of Stephen's is a friend of mine". These are the type of people I want to surround myself with. People that are genuine, open, and full of ideas. I feel very encouraged by meeting these new people, and can't wait to hang out with them. I thanked Stephen for connecting me to Erin, and I thanked Erin for connecting me to Heather and Sacha. Heather and Sacha are both going on the retreat in two weeks, so I will have some friends there :)

Work back at the regional office is good. I had a pretty breezy week last week, but am not looking forward to the mounds of work I have to do this week. The running joke in the office is that my mini-boss is very fatherly. And being the only girl downstairs, he is quite protective of me. I occasionally do his bitch work, but sometimes I get special treatment at well. Well he made sure to put my new cube right next to his. I told him how I am interested in moving to Arlington or Alexandria when my lease is up, and he advised me not to or I might get transfered to the Alexandria office (the worst local office to work for in Northern). My coworker Nate said, "Listen to your father." People ask me out to lunch, then say "Or will daddy not let you?" It gets old after a while, but it can be funny. I work with 8 20-something guys... it's a lot of testosterone and a lot of ADHD: it is definitely a challenge.

I was in desperate need of the 4 day weekend (Labor Day weekend). I flexed on Friday and Dominion was closed on Monday for the holiday. I headed home and had a blast. I haven't been home in so long; it was good to be back for a few days. I relaxed by the pool most of the day on Friday, and went to Smokey Bones with Rick and my mom for dinner. I have yet to find a good BBQ place up in NoVa, so this was a real treat for me.

Saturday I met Heather for brunch at the Sunrise Shoppe which was delicious - I will definitely have to go there again! It was soo much food for a good price! Heather gave me a birthday gift which was so sweet. She bought me a grapefruit shampoo set -- I absolutely hate buying these types of things with my money so it was the perfect gift! And it all smells really good :) (I have the grapefruit candle lit right now). My dad and Amy took me out to Olive Garden for my birthday which, as always, was a crowd pleaser. Everyone enjoyed their meals and it was great to hang out and catch up. My dad bought me beautiful earrings with sapphires and diamonds -- it was such a nice surprise :) I'm not really sure if Alex thought we were celebrating his birthday or mine, but he had fun too! He really liked the gift I got him. He tossed the JMU shirt aside (he is definitely a future duke!) and went straight for the Bat Mobile! He even enjoyed the "Cars" book I bought him and had me read it to him. But after that, it was back to the Bat Mobile!
Alex and me

Sunday I went to church with Rachel to the First Presbyterian Church of Norfolk in Ghent. We went to the traditional service; I hadn't been to a traditional service in so long I forgot what it was like. The church was beautiful with high ceilings and painted glass. I encouraged Rachel to try out the contemporary service sometime because I think she might like it better. After church, we went to Yorgo's to get breakfast. We both got everything bagels, and MAN was our breath BUMPIN'. Loves it... I love the area Rachel lives in; it is so nice and has beautiful scenery. If I moved back to the 757, Ghent is one place I would definitely look into. Rachel came over to lay out by the pool, then later that evening I went and saw the movie "What About Steve" with my mom. It was cute, definitely a red box rental. I guess I should start packin my lunch for tomorrow and laying out my clothes... back to reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment